Areas of expertise
- Business Law
- Commercial Disputes
- Criminal Law
- Dispute Resolution
- Government Advisory
- Sports Law
Allistar is the head of our Sports Law team, and provides advice on sport-related legal, administration and governance issues. In sports law, Allistar advises on:
- anti-doping and sports medical issues
- resolution of sports law disputes
- sports tribunals, member protection and employee investigations
- media, marketing and event management issues
- governance, constitutional and structural issues
- commercial law including contracts and leasing
- intellectual property and information and communications technology
- workplace management and employment matters
- insurance in sports issues.
Allistar is also a lawyer with our Government Advisory team. He has held high-level security clearances. Allistar provides legal advice on:
- contracts, commercial and company law
- workplace management and legislation
- administrative and public service law and probity
- defence force and associated laws
- aviation law and aircraft accident investigation law
- privacy and freedom of information
- information technology, IT security and communications law.
Allistar began his career flying high-performance aircraft for the Air Force for 6 years. He then changed direction, gaining degrees in economics and law before becoming a merchant banker. This led Allistar into private practice as a barrister, where he specialised in contracts, securities, company and commercial law, banking and finance, and property law.
He then rejoined the Air Force as a Reserve Legal Officer. During this time, Allistar worked in the areas of defence law, administrative law, public sector law, aviation law, international law and the law of armed conflict, providing advice to those at the highest levels of the Australian Defence Force.
In the late 1990s, Allistar was a founding director of an IT security company that won a major federal government tender. With both board and senior executive roles, Allistar was fundamental in growing the company from 3 to more than 110 employees within 2 years.
In relation to sport, Allistar has been closely involved as player, administrator or coach for more than 50 years. He knows what it’s like to participate in the contest, to prepare a team for grand finals, and to organise a competition. He has dealt with the myriad legal, administration, governance and other issues which are uniquely related to sports.
Allistar has a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Economics from the University of Queensland. He also has a Graduate Diploma of Sports Law (Melbourne University). Allistar is a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and the ACT Law Society.
Areas of Expertise
- Dispute resolution
- Corporate entities and governance
- All aspects of commercial law and litigation
- Employment law and investigations
- Privacy and freedom of information
- IT and IT security
Recent articles from AllistarSee all
1 / 4