A Thaw in the ice? Australian Government announces updated list of visa essential professions for fast-tracking economic recovery.
03 Sep 2020
- Business services
Nurses, engineers and doctors are among the professions dominating the new Priority Migration Skilled Occupation Lists announced by the Commonwealth government this week.
These professions are deemed essential to ‘supercharge’ Australia economic recovery, with the Government hoping it can entice highly skilled professionals to Australia with the promise of a fast track through the notoriously bureaucratic system.
The new Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL) of 17 occupations that will be able to enter Australia to assist in the country’s COVID recovery.
• Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
• Construction Project Manager (133111)
• Mechanical Engineer (233512)
• General Practitioner (253111)
• Resident Medical Officer (253112)
• Psychiatrist (253411)
• Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
• Midwife (254111)
• Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
• Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
• Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
• Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
• Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
• Registered Nurses nec (254499)
• Developer Programmer (261312)
• Software Engineer (261313)
• Maintenance Planner (312911)
Visa holders, who have been sponsored by an Australia business in a PMSOL occupation can request an exemption from Australia’s travel restrictions but will be subject to a strict 14 days quarantine on arrival at their own expense.
Labour market testing will still be required to be able to sponsor applications in these occupations.
How we can help?
The system is complicated and whenever the Government talks about “fast track”, you can be sure you will need expert advice to get through the regulations.